The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.
Demetri Martin

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Works in ... Progress

We have a few things in the works here on Third Street, so I thought it would be helpful to make a list - sort of a social contract - to keep us on tract. A little self-manipulation never hurt anyone and let's face it - I probably won't even notice that I'm manipulating myself anyway... And it's for my own good whether I know it or not...

Sonia is working hard to get our new collection of dolls onto the production line. Remember this post...

The VERY FIRST of this new, yet-to-be-named line has made it to my sewing table and will be constructed and brought to life very soon, so keep an eye here and on our Facebook page for updates on that work. 

After a recent stuffing frenzy, Sonia has passed along these little friends for their finishing work. 


I sewed for a bit last night and am fairly confident that I have attached all of the proper limbs to their intended doll. Sorry, no alien-limb B movie endeavors for TSH this time around. We unfortunately don't have that much time on our hands these days...

Also, much of my time has been spent "researching" various Internet sites like Pinterest and Instructables for tips on how to sew panels into jeans to create bell bottoms. My daughter has been cast to the chorus of a local theater group's upcoming Christmas production  and I get to work on her costume for the 1970's portion of the show. How exciting is that!!


And, I've begun a doll restoration project in my "spare" time... A friend was recently downsizing a storage unit in preparation for a cross country move and she asked me if I would be interested in some of her old dolls. She had 4 dolls stored from travels as a child and was looking to offload - being a GREAT friend and a celebrated "off-loader" (hoarder?), I eagerly accepted the offer.

This little pretty particularly grabbed my fancy. 


She's button jointed with braided black yarn hair, felt facial features, and a prim little stitched nose. This is her as she came to me, well after my daughter had fully disrobed her! She came fully attired in cotton bloomers and a crochet-fringed cotton slip, with an emerald green dress shirt paired with a bright pink skirt and purple apron, to boot. She's wearing a red beaded necklace and has a lovely woven scarf for finishing accessories. All are photographed below drying after a preliminary hand washing (disregard the upper middle and left pieces, these are for other dolls).


I've begun with the doll's body, tidying up her hair, cleaning up stray threads, and mending some open seams. The shirt need a little repair at the shoulder so some hand stitching was employed - although I'm not overly pleased with the result and may have to revisit this part. Once I have the other pieces mended and pressed and get the poor dear re-dressed, she will make a beautiful decorative piece for my daughter's bedroom. I'll have to get Dad to fire up the workshop and make her a fancy display chair. 

More pictures to come!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails